January 4, 2009 in Free Patterns
I got an iPhone for Christmas but it didn’t come with a case.Â I broke my old cellphone when it slipped out of my jacket pocket while I was bent over to tie my shoe laces so I made this cozie to protect my new phone.Â My boyfriend thinks there’s something ironic about protecting a piece of cutting edge technology with a very old crafting technique.Â Maybe he’s right but I still think it’s cute.Â This was really quick to make.Â I’m not too crazy with the snap but it’s all I have on hand.Â I might experiment with replacing it with a button/loop closure after my next craft store trip.
Tools and Materials
- Small amounts of green, red, and yellow worsted weight yarn
- Size F hook
- 4 dc = 1″
- 2 rows = 1″
- Chain 12
- dc in each chain across (12 sts) and chain 2.
- repeat step two until you have 24 rows.
- Fold nine rows up. There should be 18 rows for the case front/back and 6 rows for the flap
- SC crochet down the edge of the flap, and then through both layers once you reach the fold.
- Continue around the bottom of the case, putting 2 sc in each corner.
- Once you make it back up the other side of the flap, fasten off and weave in the end.
- Add a snap closure or a button and loop to your preference.
- Starting with a long tail, sc 38 (or more if you have a larger hand).
- Slip stitch in the first chain to form a loop. Fasten off and leave a long tail.
- Take the both tails and slip them through the first single crochet where the two sides of the case were joined.
- Holding the two ends together, knot them around the strap twice.Â Weave the tails in to the case.
Decorate the case with beads, thread, or appliques however you like.Â I made the red and yellow flower using the Crochet Flower Tutorial from greetingarts.