I wanted to have this pattern ready sooner but today was the first day in over a week that I’ve been able to make it to the craft store. This ornament was inspired by by this cartoon by Megan Murphy. Please feel free to use this pattern to make items for yourself, as gifts, or for charity but do not sell items made from this pattern or the pattern itself . Happy Holidays!
Tools, Materials, Etc.
- All pieces made with size F hook
- Small amounts of white, red, and green worsted weight yarn.
- 6mm black plastic safety eyes
- Black cotton embroidery thread
- Row 1: crochet 6 sc in a magic ring
- Row 2: * 2 sc in next st * Repeat 6 (12 sts)
- Row 3: * sc 1, 2 sc in next st* Repeat 6 (18 sts)
- Row 4: * sc 2, 2 sc in next st* Repeat 6 (24 sts)
- Row 5: * sc 3, 2 sc in next st* Repeat 6 (30 sts)
- Row 6-8: sc 30
- Row 9: *sc 3, dec in next 1st* Repeat 6 (24 sts)
- Add eyes and mouth.Â Stuff with fiberfill.
- Row 10: *sc 2, dec in next 1st* Repeat 6 (18 sts)
- Row 11: *sc 1, dec in next 1st* Repeat 6 (12 sts)
- Row 12: *dec in next st* Repeat 6 (6 sts)
- Finish stuffing with fiberfill. More is better.
- Fasten off and cut yarn leaving a long tail.
- Weave tail through the last six stitches and pull tight to close.
- Weave in tail.
- crochet 8 sc in a magic ring
- *5 sc in first st, sl st in next st* rep 4 (24 sts)
- Fasten off and leave a long tail for sewing.
Leaf (Green) x 2
The leaves are worked in ovals.
- Chain 7
- sc in 2nd chain from hook
- sc in next 4 sts
- 2 sc in 6th st
- Turn, working up the back of the foundation chain sc 6
- Fasten off, weave in the starting bit of the chain but leave a long tail from the end
- Chain 20 with a long starting tail.
- sl st in 10th chain to make a loop.
- Fasten off and weave in ends.
- slip the tail of the stem through the center hole of the top and then fasten the stem to the top of the ball.
- Slide the top down and then sew to the top of the ball to secure.
- Sew the leaves to each other through the 6th st of the stem.
- Take two lengths of red yarn and make a bow at the base of the stem.
UPDATED: Forgot to add you should stuff the ball. Thanks Suzetta! Instructions added above.